spacer.png, 0 kB

Places to stay

Search

Events

Suggested Tours


spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
Hagedorn notes tourism resurgence in Puerto Princesa PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 26 February 2007

Mayor Edward Hagedorn said there is a resurgence of the tourism industry in the city, and in a matter of time, he will go full blast in its promotion once infrastructure projects are put in place.

Hagedorn, together with Vice Mayor Lucilo Bayron and eight city councilors, announced the development in a press conference held at the Hotel Fleuris Monday.

"Tourists have flocked in and they are seen in city streets. In a little time, construction works on the road to Sabang and rehabilitation of our airports will be completed," he said.

"At that time, we could start efforts in tourism promotion," he added.

Hagedorn said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has released P100 million and ordered the start of the construction road project leading to Sitio Sabang, where the city's pride Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park, better known as "Underground River" is located.

The 17 kilometer-Sabang road is now being constructed and its target completion is by March," the mayor said.

James Albert Mendoza, park manager, reported to newsmen that tourist arrivals in Underground River has increased to 46,268, the highest compared to 1992 which was only 10,135.

Mendoza said the reputed longest known navigable subterranean river in the world that was declared a World Site park by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Office (UNESCO), is still the best seller among the city's numerous tourist destinations.

He noted an average of 126 visitors a day is recorded, giving income to boatmen, resort owners and other businessmen in the area.

Meanwhile, Bimbo Fernandez of the City Tourism Office (CTO) disclosed that a total of 146,806 tourists visited the city in 2006, which was up by 12,982 compared to 134,824 in 2005.

"There was no lean season for tourists last year," said Fernandez, quoting the statements of travel operators, guides and other tourism stakeholders in the city.

Furthermore, Hagedorn said the city's tourism industry is on the road to full recovery after the infamous 2001 Dos Palmas kidnapping incident perpetrated by the Abu Sayyaf bandit group.

He said he will now focus on the implementation of tourism infrastructure development and then draw up plans for making Puerto Princesa a top tourist destination in terms of eco-tourism.

In the said occasion, Hagedorn also announced his reelection bid as well as those of Bayron and Councilors Feliberto Oliveros III, Mark David Hagedorn, Jimmy Carbonnel, Roger Castro, Jack Palanca, Henry Gadiano, Rebecca Labit and Kentroy de la Cruz.

Businessman Mike Cuarderno and Erwin Edualino of Fullbright College are newcomers to the Hagedorn's ticket. (PNA)

Source: bayanihan.org


 
 

 
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB